Garden Day

The sun has had his hat on all day today, so after taking a delivery of wood to begin the refill task of the wood store, we head to Ossett to collect some gardening tools from the old house.

The front lawn has now been electrically raked and recut to see if that is enough or whether full scarifying will be required. A couple of weeks should do it 🙂

Then, after lunch Simon set off the garden fire bin and began the task of clearing the location for the compost heap – three bags worth of stuff was removed and around one of those has now been burned as the day progressed. 

Simon also managed to puggle-proof a couple of weak spots in the back garden so time will tell if this has been successful 🙂

All in all a pretty good outdoor day and several home jobs ticked off the list.

Incidentally, we ordered a new tap and basin for the downstairs bathroom, a new tap for the house bathroom shower (the existing one failed last weekend so we presently have NO functioning showers in the house 🙁 ) and a cool new cooker tap for the kitchen. This is one of those taps that supplies hot, cold, cold filtered water AND boiling water so we will no longer require the services of a kettle 🙂 Hopefully, we can arrange a plumber to come fit all of the above along with the replacement shower unit for the Master Bedroom Shower…

Slowly but surely, we are getting there…..

The clock is finally back and…..

…. it works !!!

Simon collected it yesterday morning from Brewers in Huddersfield – they have had it since December!!!

The first two tries with it back on the wall on the lounge failed to present more than two hours of accurate time 🙁

Thankfully, third time is a charm and following properly winding the clock up and setting the pendulum away, we have now had successful time keeping overnight 🙂

We will need to figure out how frequently we need to wind the clock up now…

Separately the sun was shining yesterday and so we had our first meal in the front garden with Dayle, Sara and Karis 👍

Final clippings removed

The last five bags of garden clippings were taken to the recycling centre this morning – it took approx 1.5 hours to cut the bush clipping down and insert them into the five bags we bought earlier in the week.

There is probably a further half bag to go along with the existing stuff that had been already dumped in the corner before we moved in. So we decided to buy a metal waste burning bin from the garden centre while we were ordering our new garden furniture for the front garden.

When Simon comes back from Australia we will have some little garden fires to begin to eat our wat through the compost content – the decomposed stuff can be spread out onto the garden beds and we will hopefully gain access to more space down at that part of the garden,