Little extravagant shopping :-)

Wowee – it has been real British spring weather here in the bay this last week – torrential rain and high winds.  Thankfully this morning all faith is restored – blue sky and sunshine – doesn’t feel too warm yet mind you.

We heading out for a nice meal tonight with the Folks in Los Gatos, so that will be nice – nice steakhouse – yay!  We have found a baby sitter so hoping that works out well for us also – perhaps we will get out a little more frequently from now on…..

We have given the tenants of the house in Ossett notice but allowed them 3 additional months to find alternative lodgings, so the house will be back with us in the summer.  Tim is planning to come south and move in with Pepsi and Max for a while so it will be nice to have the house back in Rust ownership through and through – although I think we need to put a new kitchen in since the majority of the doors are cracked and therefore need replacing – guess it is handy we have a few dollars of funding behind us now… 🙁

We are also thinking of buying something here in Los Gatos – I guess time will tell….

We went diamond shopping this afternoon, and while Elly and Olly (well Olly really) were less keen on the task, mummy was only too pleased to visit the shop 🙂

We have uplifted the diamonds in the ring that we bought in Florida so that there is a nice 1 carat diamond in the middle setting along with two slightly smaller items to sit either side.  Mummy has also procured a new ring that has white and then black diamonds in it – it will look really nice alongside the existing two rings and will pull together with the watch that Vicky got at our 10th wedding anniversary.  On top of this we have managed to get two new earrings in the deal as well 🙂 All in all, a good shopping session I think….. Got to wait 3 or so weeks until we get the rings back – think it might just be the longest  weeks in life so far…. 🙂

6 more months in Torrey Pines…

We have extended our lease on the current house in CA today for a further 6 months – the thinking being that we have looked around for the last 6 weeks finding not a lot.  The whole task of actually moving being too great to bear.  We will consider looking to buy somewhere over the summer time.

Planning a Maui holiday in August…. Niiiice !!!!! 🙂

Nice loooonnnnng weekend

Daddy had another day off work today, so we lounged around this morning and then head out for a bike ride (Elly is not doing too bad on his bike – hea just needs to learn to concentrate more and look where he is going – he tends to want to look back to ensure that he is “winning” and consequently falls off 🙁 ) and play in the park this afternoon.  We have had a nice family meal tonight and will be cracking open some Champagne later – we have taken receipt of a nice little earner from the sale of some stock last week.  Simon has his eye on a nice IWC watch, Vicky a new bag and a bigger diamond ring 🙂 and the boys some cash to build out their wealth a little.

Check out this dude – he was NOT impressed when the run came to an end – screamed with delight ALL the way down the run as well 🙂

Never seen so much snow…

We just got back this morning (well 12:30am) from a three day trip to Tahoe, CA with the Folks.

We left on Friday morning, to make the 250 mile trip into the mountains, and the rain was heavy as we left Los Gatos.  This was snow in the mountains, and it is believed that 2ft dropped over night the night before we set off.  This was 100% believable – it took us 10.5 hours to make that trip (including 2 hours of stop off for lunch and refuelling etc.

Tahoe is a beautiful place that we are very fortunate to have seen this weekend, even more so that we were able to stay in Jason’s parents place that is right on the lake – in fact their back garden reaches down to a small beach on the shore of the lake.

En-route, we witnessed these massive machines that simply ran along the sides of the road with huge screw like teeth on the front that simply ATE their way into the banks of snow and then blew it out of the way.  These beasts would leave a 6 to 10 foot wall of snow down the side of the carriageway where they had cut into the bank.  There were some homes along the roads that quite simply were inaccessible to their owners since there would be a sizable wall of snow in their driveway.  It was actually such that when driving through the towns, you could actually NOT see the shops from the road since the wall of snow prevented visibility of the stores.

We will post some photos as soon as we get them off the cameras.

Roy and Daisy’s garden (Jason’s parents) back garden was so full of snow that the ground floor bedroom that we stayed in was actually UNDER the level of the snow – i.e. open the curtains and we just started at a 9ft snow drift !!!!

Jason (with a little help from Simon) dug out a 3foot wide and 4 / 5 foot deep track down the garden so that the kids could sledge down the small slope in the garden.  We have some video footage that we will post as Oliver LOVED sledging – to the point that he screamed when he stopped moving on the disks.

We really would like to head back when the boys are a little older so we can all learn to ski / snow board.

We came back early (we were due to stay all day today as well) because on Saturday night, the boys got about 3 hours sleep – Elliot was panicked about something and Olly just wouldn’t sleep.  Thankfully the both got a good sleep last night and will doubtlessly be getting an early night tonight as well.

Sun, sun, sun

This week, the sunshine has come back again, with the temperature surging to almost 28 degrees C on Saturday and Sunday 🙂

We have been spending a significant portion of time over the last week looking for a potential new home for the next 12 months from April onwards.  We have found that unless we go to $5,000 per month, we are unable to find the sort of place that we would like in an area that we are comfortable with 🙁

So, we are presently thinking that we will be staying in the house that we are in already, even though it does not have a garden for the boys to play in.

One of the Media Center PC’s has failed this week 🙁 It just simply fails to switch on.  Simon called Lenovo for support, expecting to have to send the machine back in at our expense for repair. To his surprise, it seems that the device came with 9 months onsite warranty service, so we are now awaiting a call from a local engineer who will schedule some time to come around to the house to fix it – YAY!!!

We experienced our first SuperBowl this weekend, and we did so at Roy and Daisy’s amazing pad in Saratoga.  Olly just wanted to check out their pool, adding weight to the decision that we will NOT look for a house with a pool (assuming that we do continue to search for a house of course).  Elly on the other hand actually wanted to go out into the garden to play football – well football with a ball shaped like a rugby ball 🙂

We have also decided to buy an XBOX 360 with the Kinect technology – that way we can all join in family games but we can also get exercise games etc as well – should be fun….

Simon heads to the UK for 4 days on Sunday, so a short weekend is coming up.

The doubt settles in

It’s been a few weeks since our meeting with Bonnie, Paula has had the opportunity to come into class and observe Elliot.  So a meeting is set up at school to discuss what Paula observed when she spent the afternoon in class with Elliot.  We had a long meeting discussing what he is like at home versus how he is a school.  Although we have never had any trouble getting Elliot to go to school when he is there he is very quiet and really doesn’t  join in with his peers.  He has been in school since September and should have started to bond with some of the children in his class.  Unfortunately Elliot stands at the edge of where the children are playing and is very interested in what they are doing but is completely unable to join in.  At times he will head to where the other children are playing and play at the side of them but never with them.  All of these things were noted by Paula also and she also asked lots of questions about his Speech and Language.  As he is very reserved at school he rarely speaks and when he does it is very quietly and can be quite mumbled.  Paula deduced that the main issues affecting Elliot are Social Pragmatics and a speech and language delay also .  As Elliot is so vocal at home and Simon and I really don’t struggle to understand him we thought this was nonsense but whole heartedly agreed that he has social issues.  This in mind Paula gave us a few ideas of next steps and what would be best to help Elliot.  She suggested we try out a Purposeful Play Group where children are directed in a play environment and learn how to play together.  An other option would be to contact our school district and insist on a assessment for him.  As we are looking at moving soon we decided to hold off on that idea but would maybe re visit later.

Armed with these thoughts the Autism idea is rearing it’s ugly head again but as Bonnie seemed so sure that he wasn’t I tried to ignore the thoughts.  That was until by complete chance I was introduced to a lady who wanted to know more about Mulberry as she was considering sending her little boy to the school.  She was concerned to know about the school as her son had recently been diagnosed with Aspergers.  We had a long talk about her son and the pennies started to drop it was as if she was talking about Elliot.

So with lots of information from the conversation I decided to start doing my own research.  I know it is dangerous to self diagnose on the internet  but the niggling doubts I had for so long about Elliot all seemed to be coming out.  “aspergers” all I can say is OMG how come we hadn’t considered this before.  Now that we are thinking Aspergers it’s time to start considering our options with all the fabulous resources available in Silicon Valley.

Although all thoughts are turning to Autism we still need to consider our options for school for Elliot next year.  It seems our options are pretty limited.  Due to his performance on the test he had before Christmas it is unlikely he would get into a Junior Kindergarten or Kindergarten programme at Mulberry so we would be restricted to redoing the 4 day programme again.  As we have plans to go back England in 2012 this is just not a viable option for us as Elliot would be so far behind his peers, this coupled with his social issues would make acclimating to school in the UK really tough.  Armed with this determination, to increase his options I decided that I would start doing additional work with Elliot at home and we would do the assessment for JK and K and see how he gets on.